Tuesday, January 15, 2013

And So, We Prepare...Again!

Slowly, we are approaching the time frame for Scarlett's third, and hopefully final, open heart surgery and so the preparation and testing begin. This week or next she will have a sedated echo and EKG done, it will be sent to CHoP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia) for review and they will call to schedule her Cath and surgery. I was a little caught off guard when her cardiologist said that her surgery would follow her cath by about 2 days, I was thinking I had months to prepare myself for this, not weeks. Although, as any parent going through anything similar knows, as much as you TRY to prepare you are never ready to hand your baby over to the surgeon and the older they get the harder they get. Which, when I was pregnant with Scarlett and trying to figure all this out, all I could think of was how tiny she would be when I had to hand her over for the first time and that it would be harder the smaller she was, but it is completely opposite. Having her at home with no hospitalizations for a whole year by the time her surgery comes is MUCH harder than watching your 4 day old baby being wheeled into surgery. I will update again when I have the results of her Echo and EKG and surgery dates  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment